Irish Area VI & VII Whiting FIP Workplan
This Fishery Improvement Project is focused on Irish fisheries for Whiting in ICES areas VI and VII which are important for the Irish fishing industry.
Whiting FIP work plan October 2020 – December 2023
Fishery: Demersal trawl and seine fishery in ICES Areas VI & VII
Fleet: Irish registered vessels fishing for Whiting with demersal trawls and seines.
A pre-assessment report under the Marine Stewardship Council Principles and Criteria for Sustainable Fishing was conducted in August 2018 which covered the trawl fisheries for Whiting and Haddock together.
Principle 1: Stock Management
Action 1.1 Improving Fisheries data.
- To work with Marine Institute scientists to identify barriers to achieving MSY and to improve the data available for management and decision making.
- Meet with MI scientists to discuss MSY and stock scientific issues. August 2020 – December 2020.
- Identify issues and priorities with catching sector FIP members. September – December 2020.
- Develop industry data provision and improved observer coverage program. January – December 2022.
- Link data collection with P3 traceability initiative. January – December 2023.
Principle 2: Environment:
Action 2.1 Environmental impact of the fishery.
- To collect baseline information to improve the knowledge of the impact of the fishery on the primary species Cod, on ETP species and on habitats.
- Develop a program with BIM and the Marine Institute to collect baseline data on bycatches of Cod in the whiting fishery. July 2020 – June 2021
- FIP member vessels will participate in gear trials with BIM and industry will be informed of trial results and uptake of gears with favourable results will be promoted. Jan 2021 – December 2023
Principle 3: Management System
Action 3.1 Management Objectives
To define fishery specific management objectives for the Irish Whiting FIP
Create a shortlist of fishery specific management objectives and discuss at FIP meetings and with Marine Institute scientists. October 2020 – September 2023
By Q4 2023 agree on a set of management objectives for the fishery that FIP members will be bound by.